Skill level required: beginner. This hands-on workshop covers the techniques and approaches to monochromatic portrait illustration as seen in the paintings on this page. Dru Blair and his staff will demonstrate the techniques of painting photorealistic skin texture, hair, lips, eyes, backgrounds, and many other attributes. The students will learn to recreate reality with extreme accuracy and precision This 3-day workshop is non-intimidating with both the novice and veteran artist in mind.
- Monochromatic Portraits is a single project class
- Emphasis will be placed on developing improved observational skills for painting an entire portrait in a single monochromatic color such as red, blue, sepia, green, etc.
- 33 hours of instruction and studio time over 3 days
| Day 1 - 2
8:30 am breakfast
9:00 am class begins
1:30 pm lunch
2:30 pm resume class
7:30 pm dinner
8:30 pm resume class
10:00 pm open studio
12:00 studio closes
What you will learn
• How to create monochromatic skin texture
• How to discern problems in your paintings that might otherwise have gone unnoticed
• How to develop observation techniques to expand your visual discrimination
• How to make hair look real
• Rendering facial details such as skin texture, hair, lips, and eyes with accuracy
• Split paper/frisket techniques
• Different types of shields and when to use them
• Why value matters
• When to use the bounce method
• 3 eraser techniques that will make a difference in your art
• discerning and managing edges and transitions
• Frisket vs paper
• Transferring your image
• 5 masking techniques that work
• When and where detail matters most
• How to survive catastrophic errors
• Opaque or Transparent? How to chose
• A simple household product that can enhance your painting
• Understanding simultaneous contrast and the role it plays in your paintings
Class is limited to 12 and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
New to airbrushing? Join our Foundations day!
Need transportation to and form the airport? Sign up for our free shuttle service.
Not sure which class is right for you? Read "Help me Choose".
On-site accommodations are available:
- Picturesque rural setting on the bordering Sumter National Forest
- Private rooms with queen-sized beds and full in-suite bathrooms
- Chef's menu of home-cooked meals prepared and served daily
- Fully stocked art studio, all class materials and reference included
- Color-corrected lighting (over 120 fluorescent tubes)
- Built in air filtration system (no need for respirators)