It's strongly recommended for beginners to learn the basics of airbrushing and select our Foundations Day!
Freehand Portraits MasterClass on Mulitple surfaces
Results matter! Learn the right way.
Pure freehand airbrush is considered the ulitmate expression of airbrushing by many, and this masterclass does not dissappoint. Although portrait painting may seem formidable, this workshop is non-intimidating with both the novice and veteran artist in mind!
In this 4-day workshop, Dru Blair and his staff will teach you the proper techniques of blending, details, skin, textures, hair, lips, color matching, layering. realistic skin tones, and many other attributes that may airbrush artists find elusive to freehand painting.
Also, students will learn how to create superfine white lines without the need for tools, and without color shift. That's right - NO color shift,
Photorealism with airbrush-only techniques
No stencils, erasers, blades, pencils, brushes, will be used.
Class is limited to 12 and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You will create a female portrait similar to the ones portrayed, and bring it to completion, or at least near-completion.
- Over 37 hours of instruction and studio time over 4 days
- You will learn to quickly match skin, hair, and eye colors with extreme accuracy and precision
- You will learn to mix and match colors perfectly through our Color Theory
- You will experience the charm of Blair, SC nestled in the Sumter National forest.
- Those staying onsite will have a private room and bath just a few steps away from the studio.
- Those staying onsite will enjoy 3 home cooked meals a day in the company of new friends.
- You will leave a better artist than when you arrived. Guaranteed!
Day 1 - 3
What you will learn
• How to create skin texture by freehand
• How to match color....perfectly..by freehand.
• What is Buffered Contrast Reduction, and how to use it
• How to discern problems in your paintings that might otherwise have gone unnoticed
• How to develop observation techniques to expand your visual discrimination
• How to make hair look real ...by freehand
• Rendering facial details such as skin texture, hair, lips, and eyes ..by freehand
• Why value matters
• discerning and managing edges and transitions
• Frisket vs paper
• Transferring your image
• 5 masking techniques that work
• When and where detail matters most
• How to survive catastrophic errors
• Opaque or Transparent? How to chose
• A simple household product that can enhance your painting
• Understanding simultaneous contrast and the role it plays in your paintings
Special Offer for an Iwata CM-SB airbrush!
Pre-purchase your in-class Iwata CM-SB airbrush at a price far below market value.
When you enroll, check the special offer checkbox Purchase your like-new, class supplied, CM-SB for $300 (A value of $507.68 purchased new)
*Class airbrushes will be $400 if added after enrollment or at class.
New to airbrushing? Join our Foundations day!
Need transportation to and form the airport? Sign up for our free shuttle service.
Not sure which class is right for you? Read "Help me Choose".
On-site accommodations are available:
- Picturesque rural setting on the bordering Sumter National Forest
- Private rooms with queen-sized beds and full in-suite bathrooms
- Chef's menu of home-cooked meals prepared and served daily
- Fully stocked art studio, all class materials and reference included
- Color-corrected lighting (over 120 fluorescent tubes)
- Built in air filtration system (no need for respirators)